Question : Win98SE Root Hub Woes

A version of this problem appeared on 1-29 but the advice did not "fix" my  particular problem.  To recap, the USB root hub entry in device manager and the PS/2 entry have yellow !s.  Properties says that NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver (Code 2).  This prevents me from using my Visioneer 5300USB scanner; I used the coverter and moved my Intellimouse optical.  Also, PC Pitstop diagnostics says I have a problem with Plug and Play SOftware Device Enumerator (Code 2).  If this helps, this is what I have done to try remedy the problem, all to no avail:   (1) deleted and reinstalled USB and Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI to Univ. Host Controller; (2) tried to update driver (Win says I have the latest); (3) unistalled/reinstalled scanner; (4) checked Phoenix BIOS setup -- it says Legacy USB support enabled; (5) ran Intel utility and it says sys. is USB ready; (6) read that Microsoft has an update for root hub but couldn't find it; (7) checked IRQ conflicts (none in section where root hub is); (8) reinstalled mouse (wouldn't work as USB device); and (9) today, went to computer store and was told to bring it in for a $100 diagnostic test. A visit to Phoenix website was useless. I don't know if this matters, but BIOS does not list any peripherals and IO and PCI configs are blank. As far as I can find, BIOS identifies itself as Core v. 4.06 rev. 1.09 (5-7-99).  OS is WIN98SE; Pprocessor is HP Intel Celeron A, 468 Mhz.  Hope someone out there can help.  I really don't want to throw in the towel (I say as I stare at about 40 pages of stuff I've downloaded and printed off the net on this subject over the last five days).  Thanks, in advance.  I am keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed!

Answer : Win98SE Root Hub Woes

When you are loading the driver you have to point it to disk 1, use the browse button and go the driver section and you will find disk one! Dave
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us