Question : Sound recorder does not work

Using xp pro
Put in a Soundblaster card about a 1-1/2 yrs ago and never tried to record thru a microphone.
Now i am trying and it does not work. I have tried 3 different microphones as to eliminate that as the problem. The soundblaster has a help file that lists a lot of sound problems, but nothing on recoding thru the microphone.  What else can i do?

Answer : Sound recorder does not work

1. download and install drivers for the soundcard. (reboot and test after each step)
2. install some system codecs such as the k-lite mega codec pack from here
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/KLite-Mega-Codec-Pack/1080441198/1
3. go through and check options in control panel-->sounds, go through all the options and ensure that nothing is muted, and that you also have a device listed under the audio tab and "sound recording" section (change the item if necessary and test again. Check the volume too.
4. go to start then run and type dxdiag go through the sound tests (yes strangely this has worked for me in the past)
4. test the microphone with different software, such as windows sound recorder, start, programs accessories, entertainment, sound recorder. Or if you have skype installed, do the test call.
5. Does your computer have onboard jack for the microphone (not the add in card)? test this too.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us